|Published||November 16, 2023|
|Location||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Category||HR / Industrial Relations|
Job DescriptionJob Number 23202670
Job Category Human Resources
Location JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road, Business Bay, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
START YOUR JOURNEY WITH US
JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai welcomes you to the heart of the city's lively downtown district with modern luxury and award-winning service. Soaring above Sheikh Zayed Road, our bustling and dynamic 5-star hotel is one of the tallest in the world, consisting of two towers with 1608 rooms and boasts awe-inspiring views of the water and Dubai cityscape. Enjoy a swim in the outdoor pool or a workout in the fitness center before easing tired muscles with a massage at Saray Spa. Sample the flavors of the world at our 10 restaurants and lounges, which offer Japanese, Italian, Indian and Thai cuisine. For those planning an event in downtown Dubai, UAE our hotel offers 80,000 square feet of adaptable space, including a striking ballroom and outdoor venues. Explore, Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa and Dubai Opera which are all minutes away.
Reporting to the Multi Property Director of Human Resources, the Director of Human Resources Operations leads the Human Resources Operations teams to carry out the daily activities of the Human Resource Office including recruitment, total compensation, training and development, association/labor relations, and performance management. Additionally, this position focuses on delivering HR services that meet or exceed the needs of employees and enable business success; as well as ensures compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and operating procedures for JWMM.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT
A Full-Time position based at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai. The role will be responsible for manning the HR operations team of 14 associates, including direct reporting of HR Manager and Multi Property L&D Manager.
- Must have been a department head of HR (HOD) for minimum of two years.
- Experience in managing bigger operation and handling large team is an advantage.
- Experience in Luxury segment is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of UAE labour laws
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
SPECIFIC DUTIES & TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
Recruitment and Selection:
- Partners with their property executive committee and department heads in the development of the desired candidate profile and execution of the staffing process for management openings.
- Educates recruiting sources on desired candidate profile for management openings in their hotels. Effectively communicates the benefits of working in the brand to attract candidates.
- Leverages brand endorsed staffing processes and ensures interviews are conducted according to recommended guidelines, consistent screening criteria is used, and only job-related questions are asked.
- Ensures open positions are advertised in appropriate venues to attract a diverse candidate pool. Ensures employment ads comply with local laws and regulations. All advertisements should highlight information on the job, the specification, the hotel and the benefits.
- Establishes and maintains contact with external recruitment sources e.g., Government managed job services, local colleges, recruitment agencies and community-based organizations.
- Ensures the open position listing is posted in a visible location for both internal and external candidates and updated in accordance with Human Resource Standard Operating Procedures.
- Facilitates interdepartmental transfers and promotions and transfers or promotions to other properties and brands in Marriott International. Ensures the transfer and promotion of associates is tracked and published.
- Networks with local organizations (e.g., Hotel Association) and peers to source candidates for current or future openings.
- Oversees the selection/non-selection and offer processes to ensure proper procedures are followed e.g., valid reasons for selection/non-selection are stated on screening cards and applicants receive status notifications in their hotel.
- Ensures background checks and references taken up as per policy are completed and work permits/social security numbers are verified in accordance with Marriott Standard Operating Procedures.
- Identifies local trends and implements an effective hiring process for the unit to secure the right talent for the right job in a quick and efficient manner.
- Markets and educates associates on benefits package and uses both as a recruiting tool during the hiring process and a retention tool
- Educates Human Resource team on the various types of benefits available, eligibility requirements and trains team to trouble shoot benefit problems associates may encounter. In addition, provides an overview of associate benefits to the management team enabling them to educate their associates and answer routine questions.
- Manages associate eligibility review process and changes associate's status as necessary; communicates change in status to affected associates.
- Develops property wage scale and ensures compliance; conducts annual wage survey to ensure hourly rates of pay are competitive in the market; adjusts wages as necessary.
- Ensures wages are paid in accordance to regionally issued guidelines and local laws e.g., entry level rates paid to new hires, overtime provisions in place and separation pay.
- Ensures fair and equitable administration of pay increases for promotions, salary adjustments or merit increases.
- Ensures performance appraisal processes are in place, reviews are conducted in a timely manner and increases are processed.
- Oversees payroll administration.
Training and Development:
- Uses current best practices for the ‘JW Symphony of Service’ orientation programme as a foundation for developing a creative and educational new hire orientation programme. Educates new hires regarding the brand including its affiliation with Marriott International, business priorities, target customer and competitive set, the product and service strategy. Generates a positive first impression for associates and emphasizes the importance of the brand’s service strategy in the culture; ensures attendance by all new hires and participation of the leadership team.
- Equips managers with the necessary tools and resources to deliver associate job skills and service training. Ensures departmental orientation process is in place and associates receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Ensures all managers have a current Career plan and that there is a Talent and Development and Succession Plan in place for all management positions.
- Participates in departmental daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviours in all interactions with guests and associates.
- Observes service behaviours of associates and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers; continuously focuses on improving guest service.
- Supports executive committee and department heads in identifying areas of service improvement. Partners with managers to develop corrective action plans.
- Conducts property training needs assessment and coordinates enrolment for core management training programs; tracks and documents managers’ participation in training.
- Leads the development of associates, drives cross-training throughout the property and endorses cross-brand movement.
- Ensures development plans are in place in accordance with the performance appraisal process, goals are documented and progress towards goal achievement is measured.
- Actively participates in the Regional HR Business Review Calls and HR Meetings.
- Ensures effective associate communication channels are established and active in the property e.g., daily stand–up meetings, monthly departmental meetings, regularly scheduled hotel-wide meetings, bulletin boards and HR Diagnostics.
- Communicates hotel rules and regulations, the progressive discipline policy, Business Integrity Line and the Guarantee of Fair Treatment during orientation and via associate notice boards, other internal communication channels and Associate Handbook.
- Ensures progressive discipline training is provided to management staff and policy is consistently followed. Ensures proper documentation is maintained on all disciplinary issues.
- Is highly visible and interfaces with associates on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of Human Resources services levels and overall satisfaction; effectively responds to and resolves associate problems and complaints.
- Leads management team in identifying key drivers of associate satisfaction and assists the team in addressing issues with written plans and actions. Monitors and communicates progress against the plans to both management and hourly associates.
- Utilizes an “open door” policy to address associate problems or concerns in a timely manner, ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably and that issues are brought to resolution; brings issues to the attention of senior leadership as necessary.
- Conducts exit interviews on all management voluntary separations, tracks and analyzes the results to identify trends and issues; shares information with appropriate management staff.
- Facilitates a property’s approach to managing the workforce during extended slow periods or economic downturns; i.e., works with leadership team to determine workforce reductions, decrease in hours, cross utilization of staff or other alternatives to meet the financial needs of the business.
- Develops and administers recognition programs for non-management and management associates (including the length of service program); modifies existing programs or introduces new concepts on a regular basis to maintain associate interest and involvement.
- Manages the administration of the annual Associate Engagement Survey (AES) and that action plans are put in place and followed to ensure score improvement year on year.
Human Resources – Department
- Hires Human Resources non-management and management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Ensures new hires participate in the department’s orientation program and receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job. Ensures team members are cross trained to support successful daily operations.
- Creates appropriate development plans and develops team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities. Ensures the same is done for all human resources team members.
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance. Coaches team by providing specific feedback to improve performance. Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Participates in departmental daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with associates.
- Sets expectations and holds Human Resource team accountable for service behaviors related to delivery of HR services.
- Empowers associates to provide excellent guest service. Establishes guidelines so associates understand expectations and parameters. Ensures associates receive on-going training to understand hotel associate expectations.
- Ensures service, technical skills and leadership training occurs in the department to support successful daily operations.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire human resources team. Ensures direct reports do the same for their team.
- Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place in human resources to communicate daily activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives; be effective at two-way communication with their GM and the regional HR team.
- Utilizes associate feedback and an “open door” policy to identify and address associate problems or concerns in a timely manner. Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably; brings issues to the attention of the Multi Property Director of Human Resources and General Manager as necessary.
- Ensures hotel policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard, Regional and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs, RSOP and LSOPs).
- Benchmarks departmental standards using the HR Audit, HR Balance Score Card, HR Diagnostics, Standard, Regional and Local Operating Procedures.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
- Ensures departmental participation in community service events sponsored by Marriott International to build teamwork and enhance community relationships (e.g., Spirit to Serve our communities day).
- Ensures associate files contain required paperwork (e.g., employment application, reference checks, Information Protection Agreement, job description, etc.), are properly maintained and secured and meet data protection, and other legal requirements.
- Establishes procedure for accessing, reviewing and auditing associate files and ensures compliance with Data Protection legislation.
- Stores and maintains Corporate, Regional and Local Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs, RSOPs and LSOPs)
- Develops and maintains property job specifications/descriptions.
- Maintains Human Resource Management System in accordance with Human Resources Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensures proper documentation of all progressive disciplinary action is kept in associate file.
- Ensures performance evaluations and merit increase paperwork are maintained in associate files.
- Ensures all regulatory information is posted as required by local law.
- Maintain files to demonstrate Brand Standard Audit compliance (regarding training etc.).
- Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develop and evaluate alternatives and solutions, solve problems, and choose a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability:
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of own assignments and suggests improvements to work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise:
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Oral Comprehension - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Policies and Procedures:
- Follow company, hotel and department policies and procedures.
- Follows Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors and Management.
- Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than 48 hours per week.
Working with Others:
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality. Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO EVEN MORE
At JW Marriott®, treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we treat our associates. Because we believe it takes people who genuinely love what they do to create a truly extraordinary experience.
Here at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai, we are looking for talented individuals, to join our amazing family and in return we are able to offer you the following:
- An amazing career opportunity to not just work with us but open opportunities worldwide with our extensive portfolio of hotels.
- Learning opportunities with some of the best professionals the region has to offer.
- We aim to promote our associates within as soon as the opportunity arises, so we hope to see you progress your career in line with our training and promotion schedule.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott Hotels strive to elevate the art of hospitality, innovating at every opportunity while keeping the comfort of the oh-so-familiar all around the globe. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep the promise of “Wonderful Hospitality. Always.” by delivering thoughtful, heartfelt, forward-thinking service that upholds and builds upon this living legacy. With the name that’s synonymous with hospitality the world over, we are proud to welcome you to explore a career with Marriott Hotels. In joining Marriott Hotels, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.